Saturday, September 27, 2014

Patience is a virtue.

I have always been a patient person. I've always believed that doing a job right the first time is better than rushing and making many mistakes only to go back and redo the exact same job. I tend to be understanding and try to empathize with all situations. I currently work in the logistics department. This means my job is to deal with all of the companies shipments. Currently we only have 4 people handling the whole companies shipments. That is thousands of jobs and we take care of each one. During the week my responsibilities are billing out LTLs, less than truckloads, which leave on a daily bases. I am also responsible of building truck loads depending on their destination. Material that did not make the prior weeks jobs are  back orders and I am responsible of finding homes for those when they complete. I also bill out the truckloads that leave during the week. The majority of our truckloads are scheduled to leave during the weekends, which means our team is responsible to come in and do the paperwork for the hundreds of jobs that leave. Since there is hundreds of jobs leaving out during the weekend and it would overwhelming and unfair for one person to work every single weekend , our weekends are split up. Currently we work two weekends in a row and get 2 weekends off. The weekends we work we tend to work in partners. Weekends are usually very time consuming for the simple fact that there are hundreds of jobs leaving. In a perfect world, all jobs would be complete and loaded by the weekend and we would just come in and bill out all the trucks. Like I said that would be in a perfect world. Like I said that would be in a perfect world. The majority of the time our loaders come in and work weekends as well in order to complete jobs. We can only bill what is complete and loaded. We also bill jobs that are incomplete but are have all complete items loaded. Many times we are forced to wait on loaders and that is where patience is needed. Many times we are held up waiting on for hours since trailers are having to be moved from department to department for less handling. Less handling means less damage. It also doesn't help that we have two plants in one town. This means the main plant might be done loading they're material but we are forced to wait on the downtown plant to load theirs. With trailers moves being so time consuming, waiting time can vary between 30 minutes to many hours. Patience is key for my job. It gets stressful sometimes but it's part of the job.  Another stresser is that we are responsible of doing transactions that verify inventory. Some jobs are easier than others, all depending on the quantity of the material. We are liable for every piece and must be as exact as possible. Patience is lost sometimes and the weekend becomes long and stressful. Being patient has really helped with handling the stress, but we all have our limits. Today was one of my weekends to work and I've been stuck here for 7 hours already. 2 of those 7 hours have consisted on waiting on 7 jobs. My patience is starting to draw thin. I have already done what I can for next week, so let's see how much longer I have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment