Sunday, September 28, 2014

Not from here nor from there.

My beginnings are humble. I was born in Mexico. I was born in a rural area where farming and livestock are the main industries. I am from the northern central states of Durango and Zacatecas. I am from a municipal that is divided in between the 2 states. Our "village", or ranch as we call it in Spanish, is divided by a creek. To the west of the creek is San Jose De Las Corrientes of the state of Durango. San Jose De Las Corrientes translates to Saint Joseph of the currents. To the east is Salas Perez of the state of Zacatecas. The ranch has one entry road is considered one town by the locals. It's commonly referred to "El Ranchito" or " The Little Ranch." My mother is from Durango and my father is from Zacatecas. They share the same last name, but with being of different states, are of totally different family's. My mother gave birth to me at her parents home. My great-grandmother was the midwife. Since my father is from Zacatecas, my mother and I lived with his parents on the Zacatecas side of El Ranchito while my father was in the U.S. working and setting up our U.S. residencies. In total I lived in Mexico only for the first year of my life, which for obvious reasons I don't remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment