Monday, September 29, 2014

My 5 Favorite Words

This week we have been asked to choose 5 different words that are common in our own vocabulary. Thinking of all the words I speak on a daily basis is quite hard as I am bilingual and not only speak and think in English, but as well as in Spanish. The words I chose I don't necessarily use every day, but, atleast to me, have a nice ring to them and I have used. First word I chose was seafoam. I chose this for the color it represents as it is one of my favorites. I also love the sea and have always thought of foam as a "quirky" word. The color is a light variation of  between blue and green. Second word I chose was serendipity. First off, it is fun to say and roles off the tongue exquisitely. It also means a pleasant surprise. Who ever says they don't like surprises is lying, specially when the surprise is pleasant. Third word I chose was Neanderthal. Like serendipity, the way the letters are arranged and pronounced make the word unique and fun. I like using this as an adjective specially when talking about outdated ideas or outdated products techniques. For example, back in middle school, before anyone texted, we passed notes, it was the Neanderthal form of texting. Fourth word I chose was bodacious. Who hasn't used this word? Specially when you grew up in the 90s and you wanted to sound über cool. "That's so bodacious broski!" Finally kudos was my fifth choice. Kudos is a compliment and is usually used in a positive manner. As in "kudos for these bodacious cookies, grandma!" Words are fun and if used properly can play up any boring conversation. They're like the spices of language!

1 comment:

  1. As a member of your writing group, i can say that Bodacious was the most difficult word to use. I know i didnt choose easy ones, and maybe Bodacious just isnt part of my vocab, that damn, that gave me a run for my money trying to get that into my story!

    ReplyDelete